The GIMP is a very powerful, open source digital image editing application that rivals its commercial counterpart – Adobe Photoshop. Open source alternatives are great not only because they’re free, but because of the helpful community that typically surrounds them. Using GIMP is a perfect strategy for enhancing your images and making your site stand out.
One of the quickest ways to pick up something new is by watching video production tutorials. With that concept in mind, I’ve collected 25 awesome GIMP video tutorials geared to get you started, get you familiarized, and get you inspired. If you’re intrigued to try out GIMP after watching some of these videos, you can grab GIMP from their download page.
1. Gimp Basics
A showcase of some fundamental functions in GIMP.
2. The User Interface
A basic introduction to the interface to help you get started in exploring GIMP.
Photo Enhancement and Manipulation
3. Authentic Vintage Effect
A simple but beautiful photo effect based on a photoshop tutorial from Veerle’s blog.
4. Selective Decolorization
Change parts of an image into grayscale, a technique known as “selective decolorization”.
5. Cracked Face Effect
Apply a cracking effect to your favorite photos.
6.Using Curves to Improve Contrast
Utilize the Curves tool to enhance the color contrast of digital images.
7. Streching shadows by using curves
Extend shadows in a photograph using the Curve tool.
8. Create a Graduated Neutral Density Filter to Enhance Photos
Improve photos using the ND filter in GIMP.
9. Create a Sketch Effect
This tutorial shows you a speedy way to create a sketch effect on digital photos.
10. Skin Airbrushing
An excellent introduction to Selective Gaussian blur and the Quick Mask tool.
11. Improve Night Shots Using Curves
Use the Curves tool to digitally enhance night shots.
12. Turn a digital photo into Polaroid
Create a Polaroid border effect on images.
13. Full Flare Control with The Gimp
Shows you how to create and control flares using the FlareFx effect.
14. Transform a Photo into Pop Art
An interesting photo tutorial on converting existing photos to mimic pop art.
15. Create a 3D Pop-out Effect
Make subjects seem like they’re popping out of a polaroid picture using this tutorial.
16. Eraser to Transparent Background Removal
A basic demonstration on how to remove the background of an image.
17. Semi-Advanced Photo Manipulation
This tutorial shows a few intermediate to advanced GIMP techniques.
18. Quick Masking
How to use the Quick Mask tool to selectively colorize a flower.
19. How To Change Hair Color
Showcases the Path tool.
20. Recolor Hair and Eyes
This is another demonstration on how to change hair color as well as eye color.
Lettering and Graphics Creation
21. Transparent Glass Lettering
A glossy/glassy lettering effect adapted from an awesome photoshop tutorial by the Collis Ta’eed of PSDTUTS.
22. Create a 3D Web Browser
A tutorial on replicating this popular effect using GIMP.
23. Realistic Water Droplets
Shows you how to make an almost photo-realistic water droplet.
24. Fire Effects
Create flames from scratch.
* This video is no longer available. In this tutorial, you’ll see how to create the vector look-and-feel in GIMP.
Here’s some additional GIMP resources:
- GIMPshop – GIMPshop is a modification of GIMP that mimics how Photoshop looks and functions.
- GIMPTalk.com – GIMPTalk.com is a community website of all things GIMP related.
- Gimpology – Gimpology is a tutorial site dedicated to GIMP.
- “Grokking the GIMP” – a downloadable book on GIMP.
- GIMP – Tutorials – the tutorials section on GIMP’s website.
I hope you enjoyed this collection of video tutorials, and I hope I’ve encouraged some to at least try out and experiment with GIMP.